Sunday, April 25, 2010

Please Don't Read This Post!

No, really.  You should definitely NOT read this blog.

If you do, just know that I warned you....I'm about to go on a full-blown rant.

You see, I've had it.  I'm sick and tired of people who say that they are Christians and then fail to bear any resemblance whatsoever to Christ.  I'm not talking about 'we all make mistakes' and 'nobody's perfect'; that I understand.  I'm far, FAR from perfect.  I fail to live up to God's will for my life everyday and must confess and set my sights once again upon the Father's will.

But I'm talking about the very opposite of the 'fruit of the Spirit.'  You've probably heard of the fruit of the Spirit - from Galatians 5:22-23, "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control."  Notice that the verse begins with "But"; that is because the preceding verses (which are much less-oft quoted) describe the converse.  The fruit of the sinful nature, so to speak.  "The acts of the sinful nature are obvious:  sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions and envy; drunkenness, orgies and the like." 

So why am I so fed up?  Because a bunch of my facebook friends, ones who have frequently posted scripture and posted various statements about being a Christian, and have joined every facebook group that claims to represent Christ, have recently chosen to openly and publicly post statements that are filled with just this sort of rotten fruit!  Brothers and sisters, if you belong to Christ, don't you know that you are known by the fruit that you bear?  We all fail to live up to God's standard - but if we can proudly boast to all our friends the nature and details of our failures - without ever suggesting that we've stumbled; can we truly say the Holy Spirit lives in us? 

If you are not a believer then please know that I am not ranting at you!  I am frustrated with my brothers and sisters in Christ - or at least those who have claimed to be such - who are dragging His name through the mud by posting as their status that they are enjoying a sexual relationship outside of marriage; or that they spent the night in sin, saying casually that 'oh well, I'll repent tomorrow', or those who express their hatred for those who disagree with them politically.   I'll add to that those who boast of following their horoscope and those whose constant presence on facebook approaches idolatry!

But maybe I'm taking this all too seriously.  That's what Grace is for, right? 

"I warn you, as I did before, that those who like like this will not inherit the kindgdom of God." Galatians 5:21b.

"Do not be deceived.  God cannot be mocked.  A man reaps what he sows.  the one who sows to please his sinful nature, from that nature will reap destruction; the one who sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life."  Galations 5:7-8.

Lord, forgive me for the many times that I have failed to live up to the gift that you've given through your Holy Spirit.  Help me to not grieve or quench the Holy Spirit but to live a life characterized by the fruit of the Spirit.  Forgive me for taking my eyes off of you to dare to sit in judgment on anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment