Monday, November 14, 2011

Separation Anxiety

A friend recently mentioned how her three-year-old son follows her around the house from room to room as she puts away the clean, folded laundry. He just watches her. Do you remember those days? I vividly recall my own children at that age wanting to always be in my presence - it was years before I could even use the restroom in peace!

Children follow us because they love us, their parents, unconditionally. They want to be with us 24/7 - which often leads to some real hysteria when we try to put them to bed or leave them with a sitter.

But isn't that a beautiful picture of what our love for Christ should be?
I was reading in John Chapter 14 this morning. It begins with Christ's familiar admonition for us to not be troubled because He is going to prepare a place for us and will return to take us to that place. Doesn't that sound just like a parent comforting their child? "Mommy and Daddy will be back soon!" He goes on to say, in verse 13, "And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father."

Please don't get me wrong - I do NOT subscribe to a prosperity gospel. God's Word is very clear that in this world we will have tribulation and the examples from the early church are stark reminders of how devastating those tribulations may be. However, Christ clearly says, "You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it." I believe that we can have confidence when we ask for something that glorifies God, He will provide whatever we ask.

After reading this, I prayed for two areas that have long been struggles - areas that I feel like my life fails to glorify God in. I long to see Christ give victory in these things - not for what it will do for me, but because I want to boast on what God has done! I want others to know that God has conquered these things in my life and He can conquer whatever enemy they are facing as well. I prayed, "Lord, help me to know how to receive the victory that I know is already yours!"

And then I turned the page of my bible to verse 15. "If you love me, you will obey what I command."

Ouch.

So I prayed, "Lord, I want to obey - help me to do your will!"

Verse 16. "And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever - the Spirit of Truth."

Isn't that precious? Don't you love how God answers prayer from His Word?

In order to obey the Lord, I need to have my eyes set on him just like those of a toddler are set on their mother and father. Follow Him wherever He leads. Cling to Him, especially when I'm scared or confused. Refuse to turn to anyone or anything else for comfort. Run back to Him as soon as I realize I've strayed.

The chapter finishes with such a strong reminder of who our battle is with - "...for the prince of this world is coming. He has no hold on me, but the world must learn that I love the Father and that I do exactly what my Father has commanded me."

I pray that the same could be said of me - that "I do exactly what my Father has commanded me."

No comments:

Post a Comment